In anticipation of running the Blackmores half marathon tomorrow i’ve made a batch of my homemade gel – might be of interest to other hippie runners.
I’m a whole foods lover, and try stick as close as possible to things that are not in packets, or have labels with only a couple of ingredients.
When I started training for my first marathon I tried a couple of Gu gels because it seemed the thing to do. A few things were apparent:
1. They were expensive. At $3-4 a pop fueling for a long run became a real cost.
2. They generate annoying sticky rubbish to either carry with you or try find a bin for.
3. They taste gross. I tried a few and frankly eww.
4. The list of ingredients has things whose identity was
5. My stomach did not like them. At all.
So I did what any sensible person does: I asked google for alternatives. There are quite a few sites with complicated recipes involving powdered this and that – but I wanted something as close to a real food as possible.
I came up with the following:
– 5-10% blackstrap molasses
– 45% brown rice syrup
– 45-50% honey
– generous pinch of salt
I carry this in a little squeezy tube that I got from Paddy Pallin. In a half marathon this is sufficient with a generous squeeze into my mouth every half hour.
In a full I use homemade energy drink for the first half, then water & homemade gel the second half.
The three ingredient jars cost less than $20 from the health food store & make tons & tons of gel.